Table of contents
- About this Role
- What will you do as Head of eCommerce?
- Management & Leadership
- Product Marketing
- This role is for you if:
- Who will you work with (mostly)?
- Money, Time & Position Type
- About Paperlike
- Why Paperlike?
- Company Mission
- Our Products
- The Company
- Our Core Values
- 🐣 Small Giant
- 👑 Ownership
- 👩⚖️ Honorable & Human
- 💎 Growth Mindset
In 2017, Jan Sapper, Paperlike's founder and CEO, developed and launched a screen protector for the iPad that became an instant hit with digital artists and notetakers.
Since then, we've come a long way.
Today, we sell professional accessories for iPad users worldwide via our Shopify store, Amazon, and in retail stores around the world. We’ve built a global team (24 amazing people from all over the world) and a brand that is well-respected in our community.
And that's where you come in. Now that we’ve laid a strong foundation, we’re looking for the right individual to help us take things to the next level as our Head of eCommerce.
About this Role
As the Head of eCommerce, you will oversee the day-to-day operations of our Shopify store, including lead acquisition and retention efforts, in order to drive customer growth. You will help us continually improve the customer journey by analyzing and reporting on key metrics, tracking growth, and identifying areas of opportunity while staying on top of industry trends and best practices
You will wear a lot of hats. We’re looking for someone who is self sufficient, operates independently, and has the flexibility to perform well in ambiguous circumstances.
What will you do as Head of eCommerce?
Below, you’ll find our candidate wishlist. If you can fill all of those, it officially makes you a unicorn. 🦄
In reality, we don’t expect you to excel in or have expertise in all the areas. In many cases, you’ll have access to resources and team members who can help you achieve your objectives. However, you’ll need to be knowledgeable enough to gauge the viability of the output and assets provided to you.
For example, while you don’t need to be a top-notch email copywriter, you’ll need to understand and gauge the quality of a copywriter’s work if you’re rebuilding our email automations.
Management & Leadership
- You run weekly meetings with the areas you’re responsible for and work within our system of management (based on the Entrepreneurial Operating System).
- You run regular 1-on-1 meetings with your direct reports.
- Prioritize projects to help reach our company goals.
- Create goals and KPIs with your team and your area.
- Optimize customer experience/UX to increase AOV and conversion rate.
- Administrate the store and related apps.
- Manage theme development with freelancers or agencies.
- Implement new products, collections, and offers.
- Project manage marketing efforts for product launches.
- Have a word in product pricing and test price elasticity.
- Manage the creation of product creatives (copy, renderings, photos, UGC, etc).
Work with Monica, our Head of Paid Acquisition, to bring people that are ready to buy into our shop. You’ll work with her to coordinate the production of landing pages and run tests to improve conversion rate.
Manage our retention marketing. We run an email list of 300,000+ people. However, our flows desperately need revision, with special attention paid to customer loyalty and retention.
- Manage our email flows in Klaviyo.
- Facilitate sales-driving campaigns for product launches and other occasions.
- Introduce SMS (if viable).
You need strong analytical skills to make decisions based on numbers and facts. You should be fluent in Google Analytics (UA and GA4).
- You own all website tracking and analytics. You’ll make sure that everything is running as intended.
- You make data accessible to the team.
This role is for you if:
- You have experience in e-commerce and were managing people before.
- You thrive in an environment that gives you a lot of freedom to develop and achieve your goals. We work with little oversight and lots of ownership.
- You get things done. You know when to step back and fine-tune, and you know when to move forward.
- You 100% identify with our core values (see below).
Who will you work with (mostly)?
You will be very independent in your work, but these are the people you probably work with the most:
- Sebastian, CMO and currently accountable for all things e-commerce. He will be your direct manager and will be responsible for onboarding.
- Monica runs our acquisition efforts. She coordinates our agencies for Google Ads and conversion rate optimization, and she juggles the social ad efforts that we run in-house.
- Scott is our main copywriter and runs our content marketing department.
- Felix, COO and responsible for all things logistics, admin, and finance. His hobby is negotiation (no joke), and he’s our guy for all the complicated things.
Money, Time & Position Type
- This role can be filled anywhere in the world, but we'd need you to be available for occasional video calls with the team somewhere between 9:00 and 17:00 CET.
- This is a full-time position, although you’re absolutely flexible in when and where you work.
- Pay is highly competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Either freelance (international) or employed (Germany), see more in the FAQ.
- Leave your mark on the company. With only 24 people, you’ll have a huge impact on Paperlike’s future. D2C is still the heart of our company and almost all efforts start in our Shopify store.
- Join an incredible team. You’ll get to work closely with highly skilled individuals, many of whom are experts in their field of focus. We’ll provide what you need to put your skills into action and then get out of your way. Great talent and strict focus allow us to work in a calm environment.
- Work remotely with a flexible schedule. Paperlike is a 100% remote company with employees and contractors all over the globe. You'll have the freedom to travel, work, and explore your passions whenever and wherever you like.
- We're profitable and investment-free. Paperlike has been profitable since the beginning (2017), and we've never taken any equity investment. All our ventures are funded through product sales. That means no external pressure to reach unrealistic numbers. No need to endlessly grow. We focus on the products we're good at and that we enjoy.
At Paperlike, we provide top-quality iPad accessories designed specifically for creators and doers. Whether we create them ourselves or source them from trusted partners, you can trust that, when you shop with us, you get the best accessories to help you do your best work.
We started Paperlike as a screen protector brand that accidentally (then deliberately) created a new category in iPad accessories.
Today our screen protector, the Paperlike, is still our flagship product and what we’re most known for. In its third iteration, the Paperlike helps creatives, students, teachers, and productivity geeks to achieve a better experience while writing and drawing on their iPads.
The surface technology, called Nanodots, gives the user more precision, better stroke resistance, and increased endurance when writing or drawing while maintaining minimal light refraction to keep the display as clear as possible.
By now, we extended our product line to other accessories that assist prosumers and professional using the iPad for work and play. By the end of the year we want to be the one-stop shop for all professional accessories you would need for your iPad.
Jan founded Paperlike in 2017 as a side business to solve his own need for a better iPad and Apple Pencil experience. Since he loves crowdfunding, he launched a Kickstarter for the Paperlike and was blown away by the response. He soon left his job and made Paperlike a full-time endeavor.
Jan grew the business quickly with minimal outside help, using a laser focus and tons of automation, before bringing in additional help to continue scaling.
Now in 2023, we're a team of about 24 people. However, at our core, we still operate the same. We relentlessly focus on the things that matter and automate whatever we can to free our time and minds.
Our team is 100% remote and is spread all over the world — from New York to Serbia, from Germany to China.
Our Core Values
🐣 Small Giant
Paperlike is a small giant. We strive to be the best in our niche but are comfortable not reaching for the stars. We look for healthy growth with as few people as possible. We're thrifty, not cheap. We leverage technology to achieve our goals wherever possible.
We take ownership of the role we have and think like an entrepreneur. That means taking responsibility, self-organizing, and operating with a "get shit done" attitude. We are brave and take risks.
We own issues and handle them.
👩⚖️ Honorable & Human
We are honest and vulnerable and are proud of a safe work environment where everyone can be themselves. We care about mental health. We run a strict no-asshole policy. We're honorable. Our word and handshake count, and we put our action where our mouth is.
We treat customers and partners as people, not numbers.
💎 Growth Mindset
We strive to be content, but we’re never satisfied.
We want to be the best in class. Continuous learning, and being on top of trends is ingrained in our DNA. Bringing learnings into action is key. We use our creativity to solve complex situations and don't rely on standards.
- What does the hiring process look like?
- Why is this a freelance position outside of Germany?
After submitting your application, qualified candidates will be invited to an initial interview. If we decide to move forward with you, we will follow up with a final interview with Jan, Felix, and Sebastian.
Simply put: We're a German company, and it's much easier to work across borders with the best candidates using a freelance structure. The majority of our team works on a freelance basis. We're still one team and it doesn't feel like internal vs. external. If you NEED an employee contract, please let us know we'll try to find a way.
Any other questions? Write firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this role, please fill out the form below (scroll within the page) or open it in a new window.