← back to job overview:
You may call this position:
- Advertising Manager
- Performance Marketer
- About this position
- Paperlike work environment:
- How you'll work at Paperlike:
- What you'll do
- Facebook & Instagram ads
- Google ads
- (Google) Analytics
- Landing pages
- Bonus skills
- Email marketing
- Content marketing collaboration
- Other channels
- Meet your team
- This role might be for you if you:
- Money, time and contracts
- More about Paperlike:
- 🙋♀️ Apply
About this position
Paperlike GmbH is a very focused D2C company with 1 product in 7 SKUs. We already market and sell our product worldwide, and Paperlike is already loved by tens of thousands of happy customers. Our brand messaging is sound and we feel that we've nailed our general target audiences. Now, we are looking for a highly talented growth marketer to help us scale our advertising and accelerate our growth even further.
We're looking for someone with a T-shaped skillset. Ideally you're an expert in social ads but well experienced in other relevant channels and strategies. You have a strategic mind but are hands-on. You know how to plan expansion and have the skills to get it done. As Paperlike is a remote-first company, there is little hand-holding and lots of freedom.
Paperlike work environment:
⌚ We're super flexible
At Paperlike, we know there are more important things than work in each of our lives. That's why Paperlike is a remote-first, global, and highly flexible work environment. Everybody on the team has the time and flexibility to choose how, when, and where they work, so that they can take care of urgent matters and pursue other passions. It's our belief that working this way makes our team happier and more productive in the long-term.
🥳 We're community builders
Over the years, we've worked diligently to foster an engaged community around our brand and to collaborate with that community in meaningful ways. We invest a lot of time and effort into community-building activities such as promoting artists, creating useful content, doing huge giveaways, and sponsoring Youtube creators. By joining our team, you'll become a part of that community, if you're not already. Our community is largely comprised of tech-savvy creators and doers such as digital artists and designers, students and digital notetakers, and iPad enthusiasts.
📈 We're experiencing massive growth
Paperlike has always experienced consistent growth, but 2020 has been Paperlike's biggest year by far, even considering the global pandemic. Along with this growth have come many new challenges in all parts of the company, as well as exciting opportunities. You'll be joining us at a pivotal moment that will not only see Paperlike to new heights, but will put your talents to the test and amplify your personal and professional growth.
How you'll work at Paperlike:
- You will work from home or any coworking space of your choice.
- You will coordinate your working environment and working times by yourself.
- You'll live anywhere in the world with decent internet (20 Mbps download / 2 Mbps Upload).
- You will be available daily for at least 2 hours during our core working hours of 9am and 4PM CET (Central European Time).
- You'll have ample flexibility to take care of non-work needs such as family, hobbies, and other passions.
- You'll communicate with our team primarily via chat, though semi-regular video calls should be expected.
- Most positions at Paperlike are freelance positions to ease the process of hiring internationally, however we are willing to negotiate on this for the right candidate.
What you'll do
We have seen the biggest potential for Paperlike's growth with Google, Facebook, and Instagram ads. You will focus on these first, unless you present a convincing argument otherwise (e.g., we're totally missing out on TikTok 😂).
Facebook & Instagram ads
This should be the vertical in your t-shape skillset. As an experienced Facebook and Instagram Ads expert, you'll fine-tune our current strategy, implement new tactics, and iterate for a great ROAS. You should also be comfortable coming up with new ideas to test so we don't get stuck at the top of a local maximum. A huge part of your job here will be the creation of ads, so you must be able to write excellent copy that resonates with our audience. Our designer and a special agency for video ads will help you get the legwork of the creative done, but you'll drive the strategy and measure results.
- Set up our strategy and tactics
- Identify new interesting audiences
- Create ads and test iterations of copy and creative
- Manage, organize, and scale our FB/IG advertising account
Our text ads are running smooth but could use some love and fine-tuning. We see a lot of potential in display and YouTube ads, as well as shopping ads to some degree.
- Manage, organize, and scale the account
- Create ads and test iterations of copy and headlines
- Ideate and test new ad campaigns
We've got the basics down. This is an area where we could expand as needed.
At the moment we're not using dedicated landing pages for our ads. This is something we will tackle, so you should have the expertise to strategize and outline a landing page, write top-notch copy and test it to improve it further. You'll work with our incredible designer to mock it up, make it pretty, and set it live.
Paperlike luckily sells a product that people actually want. Our conversion rate looks great, but we still see potential to make it easier for our customers to get the necessary information and make it a total no-brainer to buy a Paperlike. You will come up with ideas to improve our conversion funnel, plus run experiments on our homepage, product page, checkout, and landing pages (see above).
We already have a substantial email list, and currently strive for a couple of content-related emails per month. However, we'd like to find more ways to market and sell through this channel where appropriate, plus implement other email growth strategies. While not a core part of your role, any expertise here would be appreciated.
Content marketing collaboration
We're already well-setup with content production and strategy. However, if you identify any overlapping opportunities with our content marketing efforts and your work, your input is more than welcome. Additionally, we would like to re-implement the promotion of some of our best performing content to increase traffic. There is also a huge opportunity to increase the "conversion" on content pages (e.g., newsletter signups, CTR, and even product purchases). Working with our designer and content director to improve these aspects of content pages would be a major bonus.
After we've got the obvious channels working, we want to take a look at other channels like Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIn etc.
Meet your team
Our marketing team isn't huge, which means you'll get to work with all of us.
- Sebastian, CMO: you'll report directly to Sebastian, Paperlike partner and responsible for all things marketing. He's the one responsible to making you successful.
- Markus, Design: Markus is the person to make things beautiful and make sure our visual assets stay on brand. He'll help you create ads and landing pages.
- Lukas, Sponsorships & Partnerships Manager: Lukas does all things sponsorship-related and can help you gather great testimonials, as well as connect you with some awesome Youtube and Instagram influencers/creators.
- Ryan, Content Director: Ryan is responsible for all Paperlike original content (e.g., blog, Youtube, and newsletter). You'll work with him in cases of paid promotion of our content, implementing newsletter strategies, and optimizing content pages if and when that's needed.
- Chloe, Community Manager: Chloe is running our Instagram and Facebook page and you'll work with her where our paid advertising touches our community.
This role might be for you if you:
- have proven growth marketing experience in an D2C, e-commerce setting;
- have managed and grown a brand's advertising accounts before with an average spend of < $30.000 per month;
- love to try new things and double down on those that work;
- are fluent in English and can communicate concisely in written English (since you need to write copy in English your language skills should be basically those of a native speaker).
- Bonus: you're an iPad or Apple enthusiast with a love of mobile productivity or digital creativity.
Money, time and contracts
- Pay is commensurate with experience. We're aiming to be a very small team of top talent and are compensating accordingly.
- 20-30 hours/week to start, with plenty of room to grow.
- Freelance position (see more in the FAQ, but in short: freelance is simply easier in an international team, but we could look into employment if necessary).
- You can start as soon as you're ready.
More about Paperlike:
Why work with us?
- Leave your mark on the company: the team at Paperlike is small, which means each of us plays a critical role that affects the company's direction. As the first growth marketer at Paperlike, you will set the pace for future generations to come.
- Join an incredible team: besides the fact that our team is highly talented, we also genuinely care about one another's well-being. We're hard-working but relaxed; results-oriented, yet curious explorers at the same time.
- Work remotely with a flexible schedule: we're a 100% remote company, with employees and contractors all over the globe. You'll have the freedom to travel, work, and explore your passions whenever and wherever you like.
- Expand your talents: roles at Paperlike aren't set in stone. You'll have the freedom to learn new skills and tools, plus collaborate on projects that go beyond your typical marketing gig.
- We're profitable and investment-free: Paperlike is profitable since the beginning (2017), and we've never taken any equity investment. All our ventures are funded through product sales, and we have a high affinity towards crowdfunding. That means no external pressure to reach unrealistic numbers. No need to aim for the exit asap. We focus on the products we're good at and that we enjoy.
Our mission and vision
At Paperlike, we believe less is more. We imagine a world where we can enjoy the benefits of digital tools without sacrificing the tactile feel of traditional tools like pen and paper. We aim to create products that allow creators and doers the ability to work from anywhere in a comfortable and natural way.
The name of the brand is the product. Paperlike is the iPad screen protector for creatives, students, and in general people who use their iPad professionally. Paperlike enhances the display surface to feel more like paper, especially when using the Apple Pencil. That gives the user more precision, better stroke resistance, and increased endurance when taking notes or drawing. We developed a special surface technology, which we call Nanodots, that combines the perfect paper-feel with minimal light-refractions, so the display remains as clear as possible.
The Paperlike is sold worldwide, mainly through our Shopify site, as well as on a growing amount of Amazon marketplaces and retailers.
A bit of history
Jan founded Paperlike 2017 as a side-business to solve his own need of a better iPad and Apple Pencil experience. Since he loves crowdfunding, he started one for the Paperlike and was blown away by the response. He soon left his job (actually he was fired, which is a funny story for another time) and made Paperlike a full-time endeavor. Jan grew the business quickly with minimal outside help, using laser focus and tons of automations.
Now in 2020, we're a team of about twelve people but, at the core, we still operate the same. We relentlessly focus on the things that matter and automate whatever we can to free our time and minds. However, now is the time to improve some of the things we've neglected. Our DIY approach to growth marketing, for example. 😄
Our team is 100% remote and is spread all over the world. From New York to Bulgaria and from Germany to the Dominican Republic.
What does the hiring process look like?
After submitting your application, qualified candidates will be invited to an initial interview. If we decide to move forward with you, you'll be given a paid test project followed by a final interview.
Why is this a freelance position?
Simply put, we're a German company and it's much easier to work across borders with the best candidates using the freelance structure. Actually, over half of our team works on a freelance basis. We're still one team and it doesn't feel like internal vs. external. If you NEED an employee contract, please let us know we'll find a way.
Can I apply with my agency?
You can. We'd rather see a dedicated person, but if you run a no-bs agency that gets stuff done, please apply! Just note in the application that you're "applying" with an agency.
Any other questions? Please write firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply to this role, please fill out the form below (scroll within the page) or open it in a new window