- Why Paperlike?
- About this Role
- What will you do as the Digital Art Writer at Paperlike?
- Asset procurement
- Who will you work with?
- This role might be for you if:
- Money, Time, and Position Type
- Company Mission
- The Product
- The Company
We at Paperlike need an experienced writer to create incredible and well-researched prose in the digital art space.
This role is perfect for a variety of people:
- Writers with a secret but well-developed, talent as a digital artist or designer.
- Artists with a passion for writing.
- Visual creatives with a penchant for word-based self expression.
What we really care about is that you love digital art and you have the know-how to leverage your experience as an artist onto the page.
Over the last two years, we've grown an audience of passionate readers and artists. Now, we want to put more gas on the fire and see where things go.
So, if you're the type of person who loves exploring new topics — both with research and with hands-on experience — and writing about what you find, you're exactly the type of person we're looking for (as long as you're also a digital art nerd).
- Leave your mark on the company: The team at Paperlike is small, which means each of us plays a critical role that affects the company's direction. As a digital arts writer at Paperlike, your content will impact our fairly large audience and your reputation as both an artist/productivity nerd for years to come.
- Join an incredible team: Besides the fact that our team is highly talented, we also genuinely care about one another's well-being. We're hard-working but relaxed; results-oriented, but curious explorers at the same time.
- Work remotely with a flexible schedule: We're a 100% remote company, with employees and contractors all over the globe. You'll have the freedom to travel, work, and explore your passions whenever and wherever you like.
- Expand your talents: Roles at Paperlike aren't set in stone. You'll have the freedom to learn new skills and tools, plus collaborate on projects that go beyond your typical writing gig.
- Grow your reputation: You will be given credit for all your articles with an author by-line.
- We're profitable and investment-free: Paperlike is profitable since the beginning (2017), and we've never taken any equity investment. All our ventures are funded through product sales, and we have a high affinity for crowdfunding. That means no external pressure to reach unrealistic numbers. No need to endlessly grow. We focus on the products we're good at and that we enjoy.
About this Role
What will you do as the Digital Art Writer at Paperlike?
- We expect you to have a lot of hands-on experience as a digital artist, meaning you'll have deep knowledge on the topics that you are assigned to cover.
- Research will be necessary in many cases. You'll back up your writing with other sources, statistics, case studies, and verifiable data when appropriate.
- You'll use just the right amount of words to convey your points and guide users through your content in a smooth, step-by-step format.
- You'll implement revisions of your articles with feedback from our Editor.
- Go beyond your own expertise and try new things. Are you a lettering artist? Try doing some landscapes. Are you a Procreate user? Give Adobe Fresco a try. All this exploration serves the purpose of growing your experience and creating more valuable content for Paperlike's audience.
- Pitch new content ideas based on your experience, ideas you want to try, or concepts that you think would be interesting to our audience. Want to try something new? Tell us about it and let's find a content opportunity together.
- We have dedicated designers, but in some cases, you will be responsible for gathering images or other assets to support your article.
- It's useful if you suggest images for our designers to put together when you can.
Who will you work with?
Our blog team isn't huge, which means you'll get to work with all of us.
- Scott, Editor: You will work in close collaboration with Scott, who will teach you the ins and outs of writing at Paperlike, help with content ideas, and offer feedback on your new articles. He's also our resident SEO expert and will help you write the best metadata and titles this side of the galaxy.
- Markus & Deniz, Design Team: Markus and Deniz will help you make your articles beautiful. You'll get all your assets from them, other than those you gather yourself. You'll help them decide which assets to create for maximum impact.
- Ryan, Content Director: you'll occasionally work with Ryan who leads all content efforts at Paperlike. Most likely this will be on a case-by-case basis where a specific piece of content is needed for some reason or another. Though, this will be rare.
This role might be for you if:
- You're a talented writer with a penchant for digital art or design on the iPad. You're as skilled with a keyboard as you are with your Apple Pencil. One may be more important to you than the other, but both are vital to your creativity.
- You enjoy learning about the latest Procreate features and have a desire to teach others what you've learned.
- You're passionate (we know, buzzwords)! To clarify: You have an intrinsic desire to learn new skills and tools, and you feel that your personal and professional growth is a critical part of your life.
- You can actively work with our Editor and design team to make articles less wordy. A picture, chart, or graphic may not always be worth a thousand words, but it's often worth a couple paragraphs. Great graphics suggestions really help us out.
- You're fluent in English and can communicate concisely in written English.
- You're an iPad or Apple enthusiast with a love of mobile productivity and creation.
- You're always up-to-date with the latest Procreate updates and generally are in-the-know about all things iPad + Apple Pencil when it comes to the digital art world.
Money, Time, and Position Type
- Pay is commensurate with experience
- 10+ hours per week to start (with room to grow over time)
- Freelance position (see more in the FAQ, but in short: freelance is simply easier in an international team, but we could look into employment if necessary)
While this is a part-time freelance position, everybody at Paperlike is expected to communicate proactively, adhere to deadlines, and contribute with passion and intellect. Most of our team started as extreme part-timers and many of them now manage entire segments of the company.
- 1 article per week
- Contribute to a section of the newsletter every two weeks
- 100% original content
- Availability during some of the European workday for quick calls and meetings as needed
- Responses to Slack chat within 24 hours maximum
At Paperlike, we believe less is more. We imagine a world where we can enjoy the benefits of digital tools without sacrificing the tactile feel of traditional tools like pen and paper. We aim to create products that allow creators and doers the ability to work from anywhere in a comfortable and natural way.
The name of the brand is the product. Paperlike is the iPad screen protector for creatives, students, and individuals that use their iPad professionally. Paperlike enhances the display surface to feel more like paper, especially when using the Apple Pencil. That gives the user more precision, better stroke resistance, and increased endurance when taking notes or drawing. We developed a special surface technology, which we call Nanodots, that combines the perfect paper-feel with minimal light refractions, so the display remains as clear as possible.
The Paperlike is sold worldwide, mainly through our Shopify site, as well as on a growing amount of Amazon marketplaces. Additionally, we're now starting to bring Paperlike into retail stores.
Jan Sapper founded Paperlike in 2017 as a side-business to solve his own desire for a better iPad and Apple Pencil experience. Since he loves crowdfunding, he started one for Paperlike and was blown away by the response. He soon left his job (actually he was fired, which is a funny story for another time) and made Paperlike a full-time endeavor. Jan grew the business quickly with minimal outside help, using laser focus and tons of automation.
Now in 2021, we're a team of about twenty people but, at the core, we still operate in the same way. We relentlessly focus on the things that matter and automate whatever we can to free our time and minds. However, now is the time to improve some of the things we've neglected.
Our team is 100% remote and is spread all over the world, from California to Germany and from Hong Kong to the Dominican Republic.
What does the hiring process look like?
After submitting your application, qualified candidates will be invited to an initial interview. If we decide to move forward, you'll be given a paid test project followed by a final interview.
Why is this a freelance position?
Simply put, we're a German company and it's much easier to work across borders with the best candidates using the freelance structure. Currently, over half of our team works on a freelance basis. We're still one team and it doesn't feel like internal vs. external. If you NEED an employee contract, please let us know and we'll try to find a way.
Any other questions? Please write firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply to this role, please fill out the form below (scroll within the page) or open it in a new window.